So I want to AutoX my Camaro

General Cascade Crew club discussion and appropriate off topic.

Moderator: Schultzy89GTA

So I want to AutoX my Camaro

Postby DBL_TKE on Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:55 pm

Well I've been wanting to autocross for awhile and now I'm considering it more seriously. Can anybody introduce me to this sport? How does everything work, what is included in a tech inspection, what class(s) I would/could run in, any and all fee's, tips, local clubs that put on events, etc.

I'm thinking of going to the Oregon SCCA's Event #6 September 6th @PIR that way I'm already at work when it ends :) .
'85 Camaro Z28 LB9/700r4 (selling $2995)
15.454 @ 88.97 60' 2.177
3.23 posi, 2 1/4" x 3" Y pipe and exhaust. !rear seat, !AIR, !A/C, gutted cat, Throttle body coolant bypass, removed intake baffles, and descreened MAF
DBL_TKE

Postby Twilightoptics on Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:30 am

Isn't Car Freaks holding an AutoX on like the 15th or so of August at PIR? From what I hear most AutoX are super happy to have newcomers and if you say it's your first time they'll accomodate you nicely.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore

Postby Dewey316 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:44 am

Its fun, be prepared to work though, you get to shag cones for a couple of hours when you are not driving.

Most people are pretty helpful. If I wasn't working weekends, I would sure go with you. Maybe DAN (Alloy) will chimb in, he is a long time autox'er and a former district champ. He is a great guy to go with (he went with me to my first couple of tries at it, and even let me drive his car!).

Tech inspection is pretty easy, they will check for any loose items, seatbelts, doors, helmet, etc just like at drag racing. They will also check your wheel bearings, so make sure they are tight and don't have any slop. Being your first time, you may try to find an old timer to walk the course with you, and maybe ride with you the first couple of runs.

--John
Dewey316
The Lama

Postby DBL_TKE on Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:31 pm

Well not CarFreeks but OR-SCCA has an event on the 16th and 17th but those are in Packwood...I'm in Beaverton. Since I will already be going to PIR later on 9/5 I figured I'd attend that one.

So I think it's $25 entry and $15 registration. any other hidden fee's? I'll need a helmet apparently so hopefully they have one I can borrow or maybe I can ask somebody at the drags on Friday if I can borrow one overnight.
15.454 @ 88.97 60' 2.177
3.23 posi, 2 1/4" x 3" Y pipe and exhaust. !rear seat, !AIR, !A/C, gutted cat, Throttle body coolant bypass, removed intake baffles, and descreened MAF
DBL_TKE

Postby fiveoformula on Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:44 pm

are you able to have a friend ride shot-gun after a few with the instructor?
i'll do camera work dude! lol
fiveoformula

Postby blue89 on Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:02 am

Typically no, autox is a solo event. If you keep messing up the track you can get an instructor to ride along to help you not miss gates. Other than that you just showing off.

Of the little exposure to autocross site insurance I've had, autocross is not a spectator sport. It is also difficult to get insurance for. Also when you are on course your insurance is pretty null and void. Meaning if you wreck your car the autocross insurance pays to have the site repaired. Not your car. So you don't need insurance to autocross but you need to a have a valid license.
blue89

Postby 83Z28BlackBetty on Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:10 am

as far as class goes, you will for sure be in the novice class for the first few times you go. but after that it depends on the modifications you've done to the car. but my philosophy is, who cares what class you are in, you are out there by yourself so it doesn't matter! just try to get the best time you can :)

if there is any close to seattle sometime i'd love to go out again.

~JAKE
1983 Z-28
Trying to find my other horses!
83Z28BlackBetty

Postby 91RSVert on Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:38 am

Ive done this a few times. Before you leave the house, take out all loose items you can and leave at home. Cds, floor mats, change, ANYTHING BUT your spare, registration, proof of insurance, painters tape, drinks, and something to inflate your tires. It is more crap to have laying around and risk getting damaged/stolen.

Over inflate your front tires a few psi (5'ish). Depending upon your rear, leave alone, maybe over, maybe under? Take some white shoe polish and put in on your tire in 3-4spots where the sidewall rolls to tread. After each run, inspect and adjust pressure to what you want. I ended up running 3 different psi's.

Before the drivers meeting, walk, walk, walk the course. Try and get an experience person to walk with you and discuss options(take it left or right, take it wide here, cut it here, etc). If not, just walk behind someone who is discussing and listen. :wink:

Usually here, they will do a slow drive thru for the newbies. Keep your radio off at all times.

Your first run, take it easy and make sure you know the course. Safty first! Then, if you got it right... Next time go out and get more agressive, then more n more tell you loose it. If you got a DNF, have someone ride with you. Most of the time here, the guy who created the track is not driving and is to do ride-alongs.

Other tips:
1. kinda glance at the cone workers while running. If you see them waving a red flag, stop ASAP!
2. Dont get pissed if someone is faster then you. Odds are, there is, and they are in a go-kart.
3. Camcorders are OK to ride ASLONG as they are very securley mounted(or here anyway). Another person holding is not ok.
4. Shotgun spectator is ok here as well, ASLONG as they are 18+ and with a brain bucket.
5. Here they usually have some share helments. You may have to wait on one though.
6. Please keep all hands, arms, legs in the ride at all times.
7. Here they usually require you to drive with the windows down.
8. After the race is over, it is expected you help pick up the cones.
91RSVert

Postby blue89 on Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:07 am

There is a video of me going through a very small course on my video site. Like 91Vert said, GO SLOW your first couple times so you don't mess up. Its easier to go slow than to try to find that gate your missing. And you will stand out the more you help out. Plus if you get all chummy with the officials you can get inside clues and hints about upcoming events and how to run the course better. Chances are there are a few old timers that have autocrossed camaro's before.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1zf64_autocross_auto
blue89

Postby 91RSVert on Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:22 am

OH, thought of other things.

hitting cones before start, or after ending timing lights = automatic DNF
doing burnouts or being stupid in the stanging area = kicked off property.

If you want, some of us may be willing to draw up a course, then write notes on it if you want, then post it.
91RSVert

Re: So I want to AutoX my Camaro

Postby blue89 on Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:05 am

DBL_TKE wrote:How does everything work, what is included in a tech inspection, what class(s) I would/could run in, any and all fee's, tips, local clubs that put on events, etc.

This should have been my first post, sorry. I have autocrossed for 2 years and have done lots of course work through Chuckanut Sports Car Club. I was also the Chief of Timing responsible for ALL timing gear and equipment setup. I also Tech Inspect, enter times, post times, and race.

This is what I do the day before:

Pump up tires or check pressure. Check fluids. Clean out car. Put tools in car and helmet.

Day of event will go like this:

Morning WAKE UP EARLY, eat breakfast, pack a lunch or have lunch plans. Drive to event. Find a spot to dump contents of car and park.

Pay Go pay up, get work assignment, course map, and rule book if they require. Register as novice if you can. There is no restriction on Novice classes. Later you will find out where you place according to chassis modifications and local rules/restrictions. No two clubs are the same.

Tech Inspection What they will look for is this; no bald tires, good wheel bearings, tight lugs, exhaust is fixed in place, no loose parts. Under hood, throttle return springs works, if you have carb you MUST have two return springs, NO LEAKS, hood fastens tight. Inside chassis; steering wheel is tight no slop, brakes are firm, gas pedal returns promptly, seat works, seatbelt works, NO loose items. Go park back in your spot.

Drivers Meeting They usually go over the course, locations of places to be aware of, introduce special guest drivers, things you SHOULDN'T do, where to go, course work instructions blah blah. Afterwards they will have course walks. Generally novices MUST go with a group with an experienced racer discussing the course. You will notice that experienced people will be walking fast and do multiple laps. DO NOT TALK TO ANYONE. Most annoying thing ever is to have someone yapping in your ear while your trying to remember the course. If your talking you are not paying attention. When I walk the course, ALWAYS look one to two gates ahead. Don't focus on the gate you are currently at. This will set you up better for the line you will take as well as help you remember where to go. Instead of "here I am, i made it to this gate" you will think "the next gate is over there".

Race After all that you will line up. Remember who was in front of you in grid and make sure after you're done racing that you get back behind him when your done. Go slow, get no deductions or penalties. Then go faster! Depending on club you will have 3-5 tries to get the lowest time. Most clubs have an AM and PM group. Small clubs will have one.

Course Work After you are done, QUICKLY go to the course work station. Get your jacket and radio. You will always be with a partner and have an area of responsibility. Don't run out in front of cars and RUN to get any knocked over cones. If/when a cone is knocked over, clearly say, "Station xx, one cone".

Finale Help in any way you can to pick up. Weither its cones, trash, equipment, or general running around. It usually helps if you pick out the leader and ask if they need anything. You WILL be remembered and like it or not, you will get special priveledges in some sort of way.

AND HAVE FUN!
blue89

Postby 91RSVert on Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:09 am

Here is the last course I ran. For us, it was quite wide open and a double back course(meaning 2 laps). I hit speeds of around 40'ish in some areas which I have never done before on a x course. Some people said they were hitting 50's

Red is how to drive first lap
Blue is how to drive 2nd lap.

Ask questions if you dont understand something.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/5040 ... 012jz8.jpg (large image, open in another screen)

tech inspection. Battery must be secure.
When on radio stating a cone was hit, or DNF. Say the car number as well (for our area anyway, we usually have 2 cars running at once).
91RSVert

Postby 91RSVert on Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:20 am

O yea, DNF means "did not finish".

You get this under one of these situations
1. You hit a timing light
2. You hit a cone before the start timing light
3. You hit a cone after the end timing light
4. You miss a "gate" and are off course (most common one)
5. You give up mid course due to you get pissed or car gets damaged.
91RSVert

Postby blue89 on Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:13 am

lol, a couple years ago in Everette i watched a C5 corvette owner come in too hot, lost control, and slide sideways into the timing light reflector box. :lol: Needless to say I thoroughly stomped his time. Power is nothing without control. :roll:
blue89

Postby 91RSVert on Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:16 pm

on that map I just posted. A guy in a mita came in to make the loop for the 2nd lap and slid sideways taking out some cones and the timer light.

Yea, he got DNF'd.

Ive seen a double cab silvy SS take out the starting trigger taking off(it had a sharp 90 right when you start :roll: )
91RSVert

Postby DBL_TKE on Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:31 pm

Thank you guys for all the excellent information.I'm definitely going to have fun and at least I know what I'm doing now. Thanks again.
15.454 @ 88.97 60' 2.177
DBL_TKE

Return to Back Porch